[R-sig-eco] multiple regression

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Mon Feb 8 11:02:37 CET 2010

Peter,

I would think that the species richness is binomial distributed. Since there is a maximum number of species that can be present. Therefore I would model it like

glm(cbind(number.present, number.absent) ~ covariates, family = binomial)

HTH,

Thierry

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek
team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium

Research Institute for Nature and Forest
team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium

tel. + 32 54/436 185
Thierry.Onkelinx at inbo.be
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data.
~ John Tukey