[R-sig-eco] bootstrapping and 2-dimensional smoothers in GAMs

Li Wen Li.Wen at environment.nsw.gov.au
Tue Dec 28 13:14:07 CET 2010

Hi, Saskia,

Have a look at the package gamlss by Mikis Stasinopoulos and Bob Rigby. They also have a comprehensive textbook (plus lots of examples) which you can download from http://www.gamlss.org/.

Cheers,
Li

-----Original Message-----
From: r-sig-ecology-bounces at r-project.org [mailto:r-sig-ecology-bounces at r-project.org] On Behalf Of Saskia Otto
Sent: Tuesday, 28 December 2010 11:05 PM
To: r-sig-ecology at r-project.org
Subject: [R-sig-eco] bootstrapping and 2-dimensional smoothers in GAMs

Dear all,

I'm currently doing some GAM analysis and would like to include 2-way
interactions between my continuous, explanatory variables. I know that
for this, I need to include 2-dimensional smoothers but I'm not sure
how to include them.
For linear models I learned that I should always include the variables
that are in the interaction term as main terms, i.e. y = b0 + b1*x +
b2*z + b3*xz (usually everybody cites Underwood, 1997)

How is it with GAMs if I want to include a 2-dimensional smoother for
interactions? In some papers I see the same approach, i.e. y = b0 +
s1(x) + s2(z) + s3(x,z). But in some papers I see only models like
this: y = a + s(x,z), i.e. only the 2-dimensional smoother. Is there a
general rule with GAMs?

Also, some of my smoothers have in the models p-values between 0.01
and 0.05. Since p-values in this range should not be trusted it is
always advised to do bootstrapping to get better p-values. Does
anybody know how to do that?

My model looks like this:

GAM1 <- gam(cop
 ~ s(Temp) + s(Sal) + s(Chl a), data = daten.sub)

Thanks for your help and a happy new year!!

Saskia Otto