[R-sig-eco] How to change the pattern of my dataset??

Yong Zhang 2010202035 at njau.edu.cn
Tue Dec 21 09:51:31 CET 2010

Dear all

I have to appologize in advance , because I am very new about this. Thing is like this, now I have a dataset containing species abundance, species names and sampling sites. See below:

           site1  site2 site3 site4.............
A           2      3      4     2
B           5      6      5     2
C           4      3      4     5
D           4      5      4     1
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
How should I do to change it into a dataset like below:
site1 A 2
site1 B 5
site1 C 4
site1 D 4
.
.
.
.
.
.

site2 A 3
site2 B 6
site2 C 3
site2 D 5
.
.
.
.
.
.
site3 A 4
site3 B 5
site3 C 4
site3 D 4
.
.
.
.
.
site4 A 2
site4 B 2
site4 C 5
site4 D 1
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Could one know which package should I take?  And, which function shou I use? Please answer in details if you can. Thanks very much for you time and suggestion.

All the best.

Yong Zhang, Ph.D.
Lab of aquatic insects & stream ecology
Dept.of Entonology, Nanjing Agricultural University
Nanjing, 210095,China
Phone number:  (+86) -25-84395241
E-mail:2010202035 at njau.edu.cn