[R-sig-eco] Dissimilarity ranking

francois Guilhaumon francoisguilhaumon at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 23:34:30 CET 2010

Dear all,

I would like to point out three small mistakes in Dave's code, which of
course are certainly typos.

If one wants to not get only NAs in the result vector, one should
specify na.rm=TRUE in the apply statement, furthermore I guess that
the mean function has to be applied to 'demodis2' and not 'dimodis'
which is an object of class 'dist', finally there is no need to
transform 'demodis' again using the as.matrix function in the apply
statement:

demodis2 <- as.matrix(demodis)   # make a full matrix copy
is.na(diag(demodis2)) <- TRUE    # ignore the dissimilarity of a
                                  # plot to itself
apply(demodis2,1,mean,na.rm=TRUE) # calculate the mean dissimilarity
                                  # of every plot to the others

I checked the code, it's now working.

Cheers,

François.