[R-sig-eco] Understanding the output from lme anova

Hedberg Peter phedberg at biol.uw.edu.pl
Tue Dec 7 20:00:25 CET 2010

Dear Michael

The as.factor terms are used, because several non continues numerical predictors should be treated as factors. I do have several random variables in the model, printed out in the mail with the question, but the problem is that it is necessary to have a nested term in the fixed part of the model as well, and it is not random.

I received an explanation from Thierry that A/B is equal to A+A:B which is the reason for that the output of both nested factors and * interactions are represented with the colon sign. It makes sense, and I have received the answer to my question.

Thank you for taking the time to give me suggestions.