[R-sig-eco] Logistic regression plot

Peter Solymos solymos at ualberta.ca
Wed Aug 18 16:24:24 CEST 2010

Manuel,

it depends on whether you are interested (1) only in mean predictions
only or (2) prediction intervals as well. In the first case, this will
give you mean predictions:

x1 <- seq(min1, max1, len=25)
x2 <- seq(min2, max2, len=25)
x3 <- seq(min3, max3, len=25)
x10 <- x20 <- x30 <- rep(0, 25)
beta.hat <- c(beta0, beta1, beta2, beta3)
X <- model.matrix(~x1+x20+x30)
Y.hat <- plogis(X %*% beta.hat) # inverse logit link

and then repeat with ~ x10 + x2 + x30 etc. to control for other covariates.

In the second case, either you write a program that calculates the
distribution of Y.hat based on varying beta.hat, that is generating
parameters from a normal distribution with beta.i mean and SE.i
standard deviation. Or do the same in WinBUGS/OpenBUGS/JAGS to
generate from the posterior distribution (note that you should use the
precision = 1/variance in the prior specification). This won't be the
*joint* posterior because you don't have the variance-covariance
matrix, but should work as an approximation.

Cheers,

Peter

Péter Sólymos
Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute
and Boreal Avian Modelling project
Department of Biological Sciences
CW 405, Biological Sciences Bldg
University of Alberta