[R-sig-eco] Removing non significant response variable in rda analysis with forward selection?

Gavin Simpson gavin.simpson at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Aug 17 19:36:15 CEST 2010

On Fri, 2010-07-30 at 10:11 +1200, Etienne Laliberté wrote:
> Dear Amélie,
>
> To me, the approach you're describing sounds like you're trying to
> shoehorn you data to fit your predictions, which can be dangerous at
> best and dishonest at worst.
>
> My understanding is that your explanatory variable is a factor with
> different groups. If you're interested to see which species best
> discriminate between these a priori specified groups, then you may want
> to use canonical discriminant analysis (CAD). Have a look at:
>
> Anderson, M. J., and T. J. Willis. 2003. Canonical analysis of principal
> coordinates: a useful method of constrained ordination for ecology.
> Ecology 84:511-525.
>
> I've only used this in PRIMER v6 / PERMANOVA, but not in R. However I
> believe it is implemented in:
>
> ?capscale

capscale() is like cca() but without the constraint of using the
chi-square metric (or rda() without Euclidean). It still takes a species
response matrix to be predicted by a set of explanatory variables and
these are fitted as linear combinations, just as in cca().

> but Jari and others will be more helpful there.
>
> A somewhat related (but focusing on a different question) approach could
> be the IndVal method described in:
>
> Dufrêne, M., and P. Legendre. 1997. Species assemblages and indicator
> species: the need for a flexible asymmetrical approach. Ecological
> Monographs 67:345-366.
>
> where you could look at which species are the best "indicators" that
> characterize different groups of sites.

Yes, I too think this might be a good way to go if the focus is on why
species seem to be associated with which site-types. If the OP is
interested in her species as the response, and/or wants a less cluttered
plot, then something else will be required.

--
 Dr. Gavin Simpson             [t] +44 (0)20 7679 0522