[R-sig-eco] memory size limits

Chris Howden chris at trickysolutions.com.au
Tue Aug 17 02:55:49 CEST 2010

Hi Eric,

If your computer only has 2 GB of RAM then there's likely not much left
over for R to use. Even though U've increased the memory usage to 4095Mb,
u only have at most 2Gb to assign to R. And that's if there is nothing
else using your RAM (which is not possible).

Note that R doesn't use the hard drive for calculations, so defragging
will have no impact (or maybe a small impact, computers can do weird
things at times)

The first thing U can try is removing programs running in your RAM. Try
opening up windows task manager (ctr-shift-esc) and turning off some
processes. This should free up RAM for R. You'll likely need to restart R
after you've done this so it can find the new memory.

The other thing worth trying is buying some more RAM!!!

Also, try looking at memory.size(max=TRUE) to see how much memory your OS
is saying U have.

Good luck

Chris Howden
Founding Partner
Tricky Solutions
Tricky Solutions 4 Tricky Problems
Evidence Based Strategic Development, IP development, Data Analysis,
Modelling, and Training
(mobile) 0410 689 945
(fax / office) (+618) 8952 7878
chris at trickysolutions.com.au