[R-sig-eco] Proper Contrasts for an Ordered ANOVA

Nicholas Lewin-Koh nikko at hailmail.net
Thu Apr 8 18:40:19 CEST 2010

Hi Joseph,
I think you are making things a bit more complicated than they need to
be.
You have 4 levels of instar as treatment and 2 presumably (-)correlated
algae and zooplankton. You can assume you know something about the
spacing of levels
and try and fit a linear or quadratic contrast. Or you can fit the model
with
categorical levels and test the hypothesis that I4>I3>I2>I1 for algae
and the reverse
for zooplankton. This is probably what you want, even though there is a
small loss of power, you make fewer assumptions. Contrast matrices can
be hard to set up in R if you are not familiar
with linear models and how R calculates contrasts. I would suggest using
the contrast package
to set up the contrast matrix and multcomp to do the tests.

Nicholas