[R-sig-eco] Proper Contrasts for an Ordered ANOVA

Joseph Simonis jls468 at cornell.edu
Wed Apr 7 20:08:28 CEST 2010

Hi Everyone,

     I'm analyzing some data from an experiment and could use a quick
bit of clarification (and perhaps advice?) on ANOVA contrasts.

     Briefly, the experiment was testing the 'top down effects' of
predation by an aquatic insect on a freshwater food chain: insect eats
zooplankton, zooplankton eat algae.  But the insect has a few different
instars, and laboratory experiments I've done show that, not
surprisingly, later instars are "stronger" predators (consume more
zooplankton).  So, I wanted to see if the change in predation capability
with instar would translate into a change in the strength of the trophic
cascade.

     To answer the question, I set up an experiment with four treatment
levels: no insects (trmnt 1), young juveniles (2), old juveniles (3),
and adults (4).  And the specific question, in relation to the
experiment is, does zooplankton density decrease and algae density
increase going from treatment 1 -> 4.

     So, the treatments (and my question) are ordinal, but aren't
numeric or technically 'evenly spaced'.  And so I'm wondering if
polynomial contrasts are valid or not in this case, and then what it
means for the interpretation of the coefficients.  It seems like (from
Pinheiro and Bates, pg 46) that the fact that the treatment is ordered
means I should do polynomial, and then from Venables and Ripley (pg 156;
ed 3) that the non-evenly spaced and non-numeric part means I can't
interpret the coefficients in the model as coefficients in a polynomial
regression, which makes sense to me.  The treatment here is just ordered
factors.

     So then, how do I interpret the coefficients generated for the
polynomial contrast?  Is it mostly just in terms of the sign, rather
than the actual numerical value?  Again, I'm really most interested in
the trend (decreasing vs. increasing), so that gets me the qualitative
answer I want, but I wasn't sure if there was anything more I could pull
out of the estimates for the coefficients.

     And, feel free to let me know if there's a better way to set up the
contrasts for the question I have--I imagine Helmert contrasts provide
another way to do this?  (And a posting or two by Dalgaard on some
websites made me think it might be a better way to deal with ordinal
treatments?)  But I'm not quite sure I have my head wrapped around
exactly what Helmert contrasts would mean, either...

     Thanks in advance!

--Joe

--
Joseph L. Simonis

Ph.D. Candidate
Cornell University
Department of Ecology&  Evolutionary Biology
E447 Corson Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853 USA

E-mail:  jls468 at cornell.edu