[R-sig-eco] Removing the effect from a qualitative variable into a GAM

Nicholas Lewin-Koh nikko at hailmail.net
Tue Sep 29 18:05:29 CEST 2009

Hi Clement,
I am not sure exactly what you are proposing. Is there any data
or is this all simulated? My first question is why is years ordinal?
It would seem that richness would vary smoothly from year to year.
The second question is why is spatial location lumped in with gradient?
wouldn't a "better" model be something like

rich.fit <- gam(Richness~s(Lat,Long) + s(Gradient) + s(Time),
family=Gamma())

Using the gamma, or Poisson if you want to stay discrete, is probably
closer to the observed distribution of species richness, which tends to
be skewed.

Now what do you mean by indirect effects from GCM? These could manifest
as a lagged
time effect, or second order spatial effects or both or they will
manifest in the errors.
Basically you wantto predict 100 years from a model, I would probably
model more of the
effects explicitly, so the assumptions are clearer. If you do have data
for a few years
I would look at partially specified models (Simon Wood) where some of
your effects are from smooths
and the rest are modeled as pde's.

Hope this helps.

Nicholas