[R-sig-eco] multivariate smoothing and gradient estimation

Dave Roberts dvrbts at ecology.msu.montana.edu
Thu Sep 17 00:37:54 CEST 2009

Chris,

     One (sub-optimal) solution would be to fit GAMS and then have the
gam.predict estimate values immediately near your data points which you
could use to calculate a local gradient.  If the GAM is reasonably
smooth, I would think you could get estimates that were reasonable.

Dave
David W. Roberts                                     office 406-994-4548
Professor and Head                                      FAX 406-994-3190
Department of Ecology                         email droberts at montana.edu
Montana State University
Bozeman, MT 59717-3460