[R-sig-eco] vegan: envfit (vectorfit)

gabriel singer gabriel.singer at univie.ac.at
Tue Sep 15 17:02:34 CEST 2009

Hi vegan-users and programmers,

Can anybody tell me how the function vectorfit (envfit) computes arrow
lengths (as fits of a metric variable onto an ordination) exactly? I
understand the scaling bit in the end, but have troubles to understand
how actually the direction and strength of gradient of the environmental
variable with the ordination is identified. Obviously it´s not a mere
correlation between the environment variable and ordination scores, as
is usually done for a PCA for example (the "loadings" as opposed to the
eigenvectors).

thanks a lot for any good ideas..

gabriel

--
Dr. Gabriel Singer
Department of Freshwater Ecology - University of Vienna
gabriel.singer at univie.ac.at