[R-sig-eco] Fit of ordination axes always given?

Jens Oldeland oldeland at gmx.de
Fri Oct 30 09:31:01 CET 2009

Dear group,

I have used the as.mlm.cca(vegan) function to derive statistical
measures for the goodness of fit of my environmental variables and the
ordination axes of an RDA.
I prepared a manuscript in which I used spectral indices (NDVI etc.) as
environmental variables in a RDAand have now received answers from a
reviewer in which he/she states that:

/'Ordination axes that show a good statistical fit with the spectral
indices' - all ordination axes are linearly related to the predictors -
this is forced by the CCA or RDA method itself (see l. 203 ff). Thus,
statistical fit is always given. /

I agree that all ordination axes are linearly related to the predictors,
but I refuse to believe that therefore a good (!) 'statistical fit is
always given'. It might be also pretty poor, in my opinion.

Am I wrong?

I would be very grateful if someone could comment on that,
thank you in advance,
Jens
//

Dipl.Biol. Jens Oldeland
University of Hamburg
Biocentre Klein Flottbek and Botanical Garden
Ohnhorststr. 18
22609 Hamburg,
Germany

Tel:    0049-(0)40-42816-407
Fax:    0049-(0)40-42816-543
Mail: 	Oldeland at botanik.uni-hamburg.de
        Jens.Oldeland at DLR.de  (for attachments > 2mb!!)
http://www.biologie.uni-hamburg.de/bzf/fbda005/fbda005.htm