[R-sig-eco] Rotations for PCoA?

Jan Hanspach jan.hanspach at ufz.de
Mon Oct 19 13:44:57 CEST 2009

Dear all,
I have a bunch of plant species and their traits (life span, pollination
type, strategy type, association to human disturbance... overall 5
categorical and two interval scaled variables). I want to know how the
traits are interrelated, e.g. are annual plants predominantly ruderals
that grow in habitats strongly disturbed by humans.

Therefore I calculated a Gower dissimilarity matrix on the species
traits (species=rows, traits=columns; using daisy(), which seems to be
appropriate for mixed variable types). With the dissimilartiy matrix I
calculate a PCoA using cmdscale and that works fine (beside some
negative Eigenvalues).

Now, I want to know if  it is possible to get rotations for my traits,
like it is calculated for a PCA? So that I can plot my traits within the
ordinations space (or give the values in a table).
Thanks!
Jan

--
Jan Hanspach
Doktorand / Department Biozönoseforschung

Helmholtz-Zentrum für Umweltforschung GmbH - UFZ
Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research - UFZ
Theodor-Lieser-Str. 4 / 06120 Halle (Saale) / Germany

jan.hanspach at ufz.de / http://www.ufz.de
phone +49 345 558 5307 / Fax +49 345 558 5329

Home: http://www.ufz.de/index.php?en=10434
Protected areas in Germany under climate change:
http://www.pik-potsdam.de/vme/schutzgebiete
http://www.pik-potsdam.de/infothek/klimawandel-und-schutzgebiete