[R-sig-eco] hierarchical partitioning: type of R-squared

Howe, Eric (MNR) eric.howe at ontario.ca
Wed Oct 14 16:14:51 CEST 2009

Good day Clement, and R users,
I've used the hier.part package.  I think that conceptually, if the form of relationship with the dependent variable differs among independent variables, hier.part won't provide unbiased results.  Different samples from the same population should yield the same estimates of the relative contribution of different independent variables to (explained) variation in the dependent variable (Chevan and Sutherland 1991). If the form of the relationships between independent and the dependent variables differ, then you'd get different results from different samples, e.g. if one sample included more values of the dependent variable from one end of the possible range (?).  Maybe someone can confirm or refute this? Or explain it better?

Since I use this package, I'd like to clear up something I noticed in Clement's message: I thought that when using "R-squ" as the goodness of fit measures, unadjusted values were used. That seemed consistent with Pearson's correlation coefficients. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks,
Eric Howe