[R-sig-eco] R-sig-ecology Digest, Vol 19, Issue 2

Nicholas Lewin-Koh nikko at hailmail.net
Fri Oct 2 17:53:58 CEST 2009

 No No No No No!
The log likelihood of the Poisson and the Gaussian are not comparable.
One is a discrete distribution and the other continuous, you can get
into all
sorts of trouble there and not just pathological cases. They are on
totally different scales.

You need to make a decision if you want to model the MEAN species
richness as
continuous, and not worry about answers like 3.1 species. You are
modeling the mean.
Or go with a discrete distribution like Poisson or quasi-Poisson, you
can test
for overdispersion within a discrete family of distributions.  As
someone
mentioned before if your counts are away from zero, the Poisson is very
symmetric,
and goes asymptotically to a normal. But for practical purposes your
results
should be similar. For small samples, ie with categorical predictors and
few
counts per cell, it can make a difference.

So, if you want to do model selection, you have to first choose
discrete or continuous, then within that set compare log likelihoods.
(you are on firmer ground if the models are somehow nested).

Nicholas