[R-sig-eco] Negative binomial

Canning-Clode, Joao Canning-ClodeJ at si.edu
Thu Oct 1 20:30:26 CEST 2009

Hi all,

1st time user here!
I am an ecologist working with marine fouling assemblages. I just got a paper back for revision. I am working with count data (species richness). I have used a linear model but the reviewers are recommending the use of negative binomial or Poisson. As far as I could understand from the literature these complex models should be used and the distribution is skewed left (lots of zeros). Well, my data is perfectly normal distributed. My main question is: can I still use negative binomial or poisson even if my data is normal? Does that make sense?

Thanks in advance

João Canning Clode, PhD
Postdoctoral Fellow
Marine Invasions Research Lab
Smithsonian Environmental Research Center
647 Contees Wharf Road
Edgewater, MD 21037

Email: canning-clodej at si.edu
Web: www.canning-clode.com