[R-sig-eco] Mantel test with skew-symmetric matrices?

Jari Oksanen jari.oksanen at oulu.fi
Thu Oct 1 19:31:15 CEST 2009

Steve,

My answer concerning the vegan part is so short that I top-post (my
apologies for those who are sensitive about this): No, you cannot use
non-symmetric matrices in mantel() functions in vegan. The functions use the
standard R distance objects which are regarded as symmetric. If you supply a
non-symmetric matrix, only its lower triangle will be used. Changing this
would require redesign of the functions. Contributions are welcome and will
be credited in the vegan manual pages to their authors.

Best wishes, Jari Oksanen