[R-sig-eco] intepreting adonis()

Etienne Laliberté etiennelaliberte at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 19:28:30 CET 2009

As far as I know, the results of adonis() can be interpreted the same
way as a univariate ANOVA would. The exception being that differences in
(multivariate) location are tested in the space of principal coordinates
associated with a particular distance measure. Consequently, the
distance measure has a strong effect on the results. Also, p-values are
obtained by permutations, such that the only assumption is that the
units are exchangeable under the null hypothesis - no assumption about
normality etc.