[R-sig-eco] Why is collinearity in ordination a problem?

Highland Statistics Ltd. highstat at highstat.com
Sat Nov 21 23:21:21 CET 2009

> Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 12:56:28 -0000
> From: "Victoria June Ord" <v.j.ord at newcastle.ac.uk>
> Subject: [R-sig-eco] Why is collinearity in ordination a problem?
> To: <r-sig-ecology at r-project.org>
>
> Dear All
>
> Looking at examples from Alain Zuur's 'Analysing Ecological Data'- it is apparent that collinearity is considered an issue in ordination.  Could someone explain why that is?

It depends what you do. Collinearity means that covariates are related
to each other; e.g. length and weight...or distance to the coast and
depth (in most systems). These are all 2-way relationships....but it can
also be at a higher dimension. And yes..it can also involve continuous
and categorical (e.g. location in an estuary and salinity). It is
perfectly legitimate to apply for example PCA on a set of highly
collinear covariates. But you are in trouble if you apply one of these
constraint ordination techniques, apply model selection techniques and
come up with p-values.

For an example of collinearity in regression, see:

http://methodsblog.wordpress.com/2009/11/13/first-paper-now-online/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wordpress%2Fmethodsblog+(methods.blog)

In GLMs collinearity enters itself in a slightly different way due to
the underlying maths. And the same holds for RDA/CCA type techniques.

In my opinion collinearity is one of the most challenging problems with
data analyses.

Alain

Dr. Alain F. Zuur
First author of:

1. Analysing Ecological Data (2007).
Zuur, AF, Ieno, EN and Smith, GM. Springer. 680 p.

2. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R. (2009).
Zuur, AF, Ieno, EN, Walker, N, Saveliev, AA, and Smith, GM. Springer.
http://www.springer.com/life+sci/ecology/book/978-0-387-87457-9

3. A Beginner's Guide to R (2009).
Zuur, AF, Ieno, EN, Meesters, EHWG. Springer
http://www.springer.com/statistics/computational/book/978-0-387-93836-3

Other books: http://www.highstat.com/books.htm

Statistical consultancy, courses, data analysis and software
Highland Statistics Ltd.
6 Laverock road
UK - AB41 6FN Newburgh
Tel: 0044 1358 788177