[R-sig-eco] Displaying cluster numbers in a dendrogram

Jana Buerger jana.buerger at uni-rostock.de
Fri May 29 11:28:23 CEST 2009

Hello all,

does anybody know a way do display the result of a cutree comand in a
dendrogram plot of the underlying clustering?

I have a clustering of around 450 plots and used cutree with k=20.
Plotting this followed by  rect.hclust visualises the 20 clusters.
rect.hclust(..., which= ) would be an option to mark a certain cluster
counting the clusters in the dendrogram from left to right.
A table comand of the cluster-vector does obviously have a different
ordering in the cluster numbers than just numbering from left to
right.(which I see from the differing number of plots in the clusters).

Can I somehow link the plot of the dendrogram with the cluster numbers
of the cutree comand?

I have tried
plot(reorder(as.dendrogram(x),cutree(x,k=20),agglo.FUN=mean)),but that
didn't do either.

Or can I display the cluster numbers in the dendrogram plot?

Thanks for your help

Jana Bürger
Universität Rostock
FG Phytomedizin