[R-sig-eco] plotting numeric v. factor variables

bessie green bessie.bug at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 01:02:23 CEST 2009

Hi.  This seems like it should be really obvious but I haven't been
able to find a way to do it.

I want to plot some data so that i have 3 levels of a factor variable
on the x-axis, and then numeric values for the response variable on
the y-axis.  This would be a plot that is similar to a boxplot with
the data points showing on it, except without the box and whiskers.
Is there a plotting function in R to do this?

thanks,
bessie

Bessie Green Markley
M.S. Candidate, Dept. of Biology and Wildlife
Alaska Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit
Institute of Arctic Biology
Sheenjek trailer, N. Koyukuk Drive
University of Alaska Fairbanks 99775
907-474-1949