[R-sig-eco] which factor to nest?

tavery trevor.avery at acadiau.ca
Mon Jan 26 02:43:09 CET 2009

Thanks Ben for a speedy response...
I agree that a GLMM is probably more prudent and will investigate that
idea further. My guard is against making the analysis too complicated...

For interest and discussion: In the minutes between my post and the
response I went 'way back' to consider an even simpler design (if it
works with unbalanced data). In essence the beekeepers are block factors
as the treatments were applied within these blocks to colonies at random
and the beekeeper is not of any interest, just the parasite numbers of
the colonies. In fundamental design terms, the randomized block design
appears a viable option. However there are likely issues with the count
data (that I will investigate as I am unaware of the data per se, but do
have access to similar data that do, in fact, have lots of zeros). My
'traditional'

thanks,
trevor