[R-sig-eco] variance on random effects in the lme() function

bessie green bessie.bug at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 01:09:50 CET 2009

Hello.

  I have a question about the lme() function in R.  I am trying to
write a function so that I can do a power analysis for a linear mixed
effects model I fit using the lme() function.  My trouble is that I
can't figure out how to extract the variance on the random effects
from the lme model (the one that is the intercept for StdDev under
random effects in the summary output).  Can you tell me how I can call
this piece of the output in a new function?

thank you,
Bessie Markley

Bessie Green Markley
M.S. Candidate, Dept. of Biology and Wildlife
Alaska Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit
Institute of Arctic Biology
Sheenjek trailer, N. Koyukuk Drive
University of Alaska Fairbanks 99775
907-474-1949