[R-sig-eco] dissimilarity and species turnover

Marcelino de la Cruz marcelino.delacruz at upm.es
Tue Dec 15 18:41:21 CET 2009

One recent technique developed by Simon Ferrier
and mates [Diversity and Distributions,  (2007)
13 , 252–264] is Generalized Dissimilarity
Modeling. It looks very appropriated for species
turnover studies and, probably becasue of its
short life there are still no "issues" of
concern, or at least I am unaware of  :)

They have an R implementation too.

 From their abstract:

Generalized dissimilarity modelling (GDM) is a
statistical technique for analysing
and predicting spatial patterns of turnover in
community composition (beta diversity)
across large regions. The approach is an
extension of matrix regression, designed
specifically to accommodate two types of nonlinearity commonly encountered in
large-scaled ecological data sets: (1) the
curvilinear relationship between increasing
ecological distance, and observed compositional
dissimilarity, between sites; and
(2) the variation in the rate of compositional
turnover at different positions along
environmental gradients.

Marcelino de la Cruz Rot
Depto. Biologia Vegetal