[R-sig-eco] how to calculate "axis variance" in metaMDS, pakage vegan?

gabriel singer gabriel.singer at univie.ac.at
Tue Dec 1 12:13:15 CET 2009

gian,

you may try consecutive MDS-analyses with increasing number of
dimensions (the parameter k in the isoMDS() or metaMDS() function). then
plot stress against the number of dimensions and judge similar to a
scree-plot in PCA. this should tell you how many dimensions to use for
the MDS and as such also an appropriate associate stress-value.

cheers, gabriel