[R-sig-eco] how to calculate "axis variance" in metaMDS, pakage vegan?

gabriel singer gabriel.singer at univie.ac.at
Tue Dec 1 11:45:45 CET 2009

hi gian,

no, there is no such way. A MDS can´t express "explained variance".
However, the stress value is the overall measure of quality of fit of
your MDS to the data. There are various measures of stress, but loosely
speaking you can regard the stress as a percentage of  variation NOT
explained by ALL dimensions in your MDS.

cheers, g