[R-sig-eco] glm for ratio [0,1] data

Peter Solymos solymos at ualberta.ca
Mon Aug 31 16:06:19 CEST 2009

Hi Bálint,

Here are my two cents.

By using LM with transformed data (which transformation can also be
logit, loglog, cloglog, probit) you loose the Binomial error
structure, because you won't follow the trial/success experiment
scheme. But percent cover is not that kind of [0,1] data where this
sampling is assumed, I think that's why you have asked :)

If your data is an estimate of a hidden response, than there must be
ways to account for this, but I can only recall an example where e.g.
Y is Poisson, but you observe it as ordinal (0, few, many). So you can
establish cutoff values to get ordinal response from you percent
cover, and use a hierarchical model in BUGS/JAGS (see WinBUGS manual
for an example).

Cheers,

Peter