[R-sig-eco] Help with downloading package

Peter Cowan cowan.pd at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 03:30:50 CEST 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Leigh Fall<leigh.fall at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I have recently starting using R, so I'm still on the steep-learning curve
> of the program.  I have been unable to install Diveristy.R from Dr.
> Pelissier's website (http://pelissier.free.fr/Diversity.html).  I have
> downloaded the libraries "ade4" and "spdep" (along with all the other
> packages needed to run spdep).  I'm running R version 2.9.1 on a MAC OS X
> version 10.5.8.  When I click on "Package source (all platforms):
> diversity_1.5-9.tar.gz<http://pelissier.free.fr/diversity/R-2.8.1/diversity_1.5-9.tar.gz>"
> from the website, a folder labeled "diversity" is downloaded onto my
> desktop.  One question I have is where the package/folder/library should be
> downloaded.   My other question is how to install it.  I've tried to Package
> Installer-Local Binary Package and Local Source Package at the user level
> without success.  I also just downloaded the tar.gz file directly to my
> desktop and then use the Package Installer, but again without success.  I
> tried the install.packages command, but I don't know if I'm using it
> correctly.  The solution is probably simple, but with my limited experience
> with writing code and programming, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
>
> Any help will be appreciated!!  Many thanks in advance!!!

To build packages on Mac OS X you need to have the developer tools
installed.  You can download the developer tools at the Apple website
<http://developer.apple.com/tools/>.  This will install Xcode among
other things and allow you to  compile the C code in the package.
Once you have the developer tools installed you can open the terminal
and run

R CMD INSTALL diversity_1.5-9.tar.gz

Or if you have in intel mac you can download the binary version from
<http://pelissier.free.fr/Diversity.html>

Peter