[R-sig-eco] GLMM

Maarten de Groot Maarten.deGroot at nib.si
Mon Aug 17 13:19:49 CEST 2009

Dear R list,

I am working on land use parameters affecting the habitat selection of a
bird species. In GIS, I calculated the land use parameters 100 m around
the individuals. In addition, I also calculated land use in 45 random
points which are not covering each other in the area where the species
was not found.
Because the individuals are aggregated in 9 sub populations, many
samples are overlapping. When I would use a simple logistic regression
for this would mean that there is pseudo replication. One way to handle
this is Generalized linear mixed models (GLMM). Now is my question,
whether I can use GLMM also when there are distinct groups for the
presence data and not for the absence data. And how should I incorporate
this in the data set? Are there any other methods to avoid this problem
beside GLMM or averaging the parameters within the sub populations?

Looking forward to your help,

Maarten