[R-sig-eco] WG: Re: clustering with random effect

Jana Buerger jana.buerger at uni-rostock.de
Fri Apr 3 09:29:03 CEST 2009

David,

to be honest I have used the terminology of sites and species only
analogously to make it easier to explain what a method I'm looking for.

In fact, I'm analysing pesticide use data. my sites are different
fields, the species are different pesticide treatments, for example a
number of fungicide treatments. Data in the matrix are numbers between
approx. 0 and 2.5 and stand for the amount of the treatment. There are
many fields from altogether 7 farms.
Now, i used clustering and PCA for analysing patterns of treatment,
and afterwards RDA to find important crop management factors influencing
patterns.

As I described inthe original post, in an RDA with a conditioning term
on "Farm" (or study area) the clusters don't separate anymore as in
unconditioned RDA.

Now, I wonder if I can have a clustering of sites with a conditioning
term on "Farm" sort of removed before clustering.

thanks for your help.

Jana Bürger
Universität Rostock
FG Phytomedizin