[R-sig-eco] Are likelihood approaches frequentist?

Dave Hewitt dhewitt37 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 21:41:30 CEST 2008

As Ben pointed out, the key difference between pure likelihood approaches and
frequentist approaches is the addition of a layer of "significance"
assessment based on the idea of repeated experimentation. (The term
"frequentist" has been stretched in a variety of directions now, perhaps due
to lazy writing, so sometimes it is unclear what's included under the
umbrella.)

In his 2001 book "In All Likelihood: Statistical Modelling and Inference
Using Likelihood", Yudi Pawitan refers to pure likelihood inference as
"Fisher's third way", a compromise between frequentist and Bayesian
approaches that began with Fisher himself. Inference based strictly on the
likelihood function is not probabilistic, so would not conform to either of
these two other paradigms.

In a model selection context, which can be applied in most ecological
situations, one often (always?) does not need "significance" assessment and
can turn instead to model selection criteria for probabilistic statements
about the evidence. Of course, once you plot estimates with confidence
intervals you've entered the "gray area".