[R-sig-eco] Are likelihood approaches frequentist?

Paulo Inácio de Knegt López de Prado prado at ib.usp.br
Mon Sep 29 02:55:22 CEST 2008

Dear r-sig-ecology users

Here follow the messages I exchanged with Ben Bolker last week about the
likelihood and frequentist approaches. We both would like to open this topic
for discussion in the list.

Best wishes

Paulo

Dear Dr. Bolker,

I am puzzled why some authors treat likelihood approaches as
frequentist, as it seems you did in page 13 of your book 'Ecological Models
and Data'.
This sounds odd to me because  what brought my attention to likelihood was
Richard Royall's book 'Statistical Evidence'. His framing of a paradigm
based on the likelihood principle, and the clear distinction he makes
between this paradigm and frequentist and Bayesian approaches looks
quite convincing to me.

I agree with him that we use likelihood criteria to identify, among
competing hypotheses, which one attribute the highest probability to  a
given dataset. If I understood correctly, this is what Royal calls the
'evidence value' of a data set to a hypothesis 'vis a vis' other
hypotheses. I also like his idea that the role of statistics in science
is just to gauge this evidence value, no less, no more.

This approach differs from the frequentist because the sampling
space is irrelevant, that is, other datasets that might be observed do not
affect the evidence value of the observed data set. My favourite example is
the comparison of binomial and negative binomial experiments on coin
tossing, in the sections 1.11 and 1.12 of his book.

I am not an "orthodox likelihoodist"; on the contrary, I agree with the
pragmatic view you express in your book. I'd just like to understand
the key differences among the available statistical tools, in order to make
a good pragmatic use of them. I'd really appreciate if you can help me
with this.

Best wishes

Paulo

--
Paulo Inácio de Knegt López de Prado
Depto. de Ecologia - Instituto de Biociências - USP