[R-sig-eco] Improving efficiency in a simulation model

Dulce M. Bustamante dbusta1 at ufl.edu
Thu Oct 9 22:47:00 CEST 2008

Hello,

I am pursuing the development of an individual-based model in R
but there is a series of technical issues for which I don't know
where to find information.

I have written R functions before for simple simulations, but this
model will have more complexities and each individual will need to
be evaluated in many aspects at each time step.  My major concern
is that I don't know how to make my program more efficient in
terms of using computer memory and computation time.

What is the maximum matrix size that R could handle?

I have read that R could interact with C and that that can be an
"extremely effective mode for numerical computation" (Bates and
DebRoy, DSC 2003 Working Papers).  I have looked for papers on HOW
TO make R and C interact but I can not find many references and
would appreciate suggestions.

Would my model benefit from using object oriented programming in
terms of making the procedures go faster in terms of updating
matrices after time steps?

Thank you for your time.

Dulce M. Bustamante
Ph.D. Candidate