[R-sig-eco] Spatial sampling simulations

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 21:26:09 CET 2008

Erika,

This article: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11258-005-3495-x
 Behavior of Vegetation Sampling Methods in the Presence of Spatial
Autocorrelation
Plant Ecology Volume 187, Number 2 / December, 2006
used the gstat package to generate spatial patterns, and then sampled them using
different quadrat layouts.

The basic workflow:
Use gstat to generate fake vegetation patterns.
Sample the data using your quadrat layout.
Analyze as if it were real data.

You need to decide in advance how big a pixel is, so how many
pixels per quadrat your samples are: that will depend on the size
of the plants you are working on.

More detailed help would require knowing more about what you
are trying to do.

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee