[R-sig-eco] Spatial ANCOVA in R

Kingsford Jones kingsfordjones at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 22:46:30 CET 2008

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 12:48 AM, Carsten Dormann
<carsten.dormann at ufz.de> wrote:
> Dear Camilo,
>
> I hope I interpret correctly what you want.
> In AN(C)OVA you are primary interested to see, whether a variable
> significantly contributes to the explanation of the observed variance,
> right? Spatial models by and large try to "do away with" spatial
> autocorrelation (SAC), so that coefficient estimates are unbiased by SAC.

Just wanted to point out that (as I assume Carsten is aware) the OLS
estimates of model coefficients remain unbiased under spatial
autocorrelation (or any other process resulting in non-zero values
off-diagonal elements of the error covariance matrix).  However, the
GLS estimates ((X'\Omega^{-1}X)^{-1}X'\Omega^{-1}y, where y ~ (X\beta,
\sigma^2 \Omega)) are BLUE by the Gauss-Markov Theorem.

Also, although I agree with Carsten that spatial modelers often try to
'do away with' spatial autocorrelation in an effort to get better
estimates of the coefficients, I think this is often the wrong view.
E.,g, in the GLS setting it is not uncommon for the spatial
autocorrelation parameters to be of at least as much biological
interest as the \betas.

Kingsford Jones