[R-sig-eco] classical statistics in R

Jarrett Byrnes byrnes at msi.ucsb.edu
Tue Nov 11 00:19:44 CET 2008

While I agree with this statement in principal, I disagree in
practice.  I think one of the challenges of teaching classical (or
any) ecological stats and analysis of experiments to new students is
being able to allow them to begin to understand not just the specifics
and concepts of the methods as quickly as possible, but to also begin
to confront the real problems of the data analyst.  With a given set
of data, how will choice of method, violation of assumptions, that
seagull that ate half of the treatment plots, etc. really affect the
inferences I can draw?  A large hurdle I've seen in many classes,
regardless of the package they chose to use, is actually getting
students to learn and then work with the software.  This has often
involved whole separate labs or classes that, at worst, can be mere
exercises in button pushing and far abstracted from the course material.

Written languages, such as SAS and R, take some of that away, of
course, and having a text that at least features examples in said
language can more seamlessly integrate the two.  After working through
Gelman and Hill, I was struck by how the code and the conceptual text
worked together pretty seamlessly.  At the end, I was able to emerge
with a working understanding of the concepts of multilevel modeling,
Bayes, etc.  More importantly, I knew I had a toolset in hand that I
could always turn to and work with in order to carry forth my data
analysis.

And, indeed, that _always_ is one of the advantages to R.  It's free.
You can learn it as an undergrad, keep working with it in grad school,
end up working at a tiny research station with no money in the middle
of the North Sea, and you will always be able to use it.  No site
licensees, etc, needed.  I think this is an enormous practical
advantage in the long run.  And, indeed, thought it will grow and
change with time, as it is public domain, there is never any danger of
it disappearing from the earth, like many favorite canned statistical
packages of yore.

Hence, why not learn it early, and why not a good book that integrates
concept and practice?  It's what pleased me so much about G&H as well
as Ben's book.

Perhaps it is time for a classical statistics book for ecology that
both emphasized the conceptual meat of the material but is integrated
with R, allowing students to really explore that meat on their own?