[R-sig-eco] classical statistics in R

tyler tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca
Mon Nov 10 23:45:55 CET 2008

"Sebastian P. Luque" <spluque at gmail.com>
writes:

> In general, I would not choose a book to learn basic statistics based on
> whether it has R content or not.  What's important is to learn the
> concepts.  Learning how to use them in a particular software is useful,
> but secondary.  If we're careless about this distinction, we risk
> falling into habits promoted by most commercial software, where one
> points and click without understanding what one is doing.  The risk is
> there even in GNU R, as the number of functions and packages keeps
> growing to help us save time developing procedures.  There's a balance
> to be reached between the help received and intellectual independence.
> For classical statistics, many books have long series of editions that
> have made them superb with age (like good wine).  Zar's Biostatistical
> Analysis is my favorite in this domain, but I enjoyed Sokal & Rolf too.

That's an important point. I should clarify that, for myself, it's not
so important to have actual R code. But the 'sums of squares' framework
presented in S&R is, or at least appears to be, at odds with the linear
model framework used in R. I would appreciate a reference that takes the
same approach as that used in R, so that I can focus on learning the
statistics.

To use S&R as written, I can read through the examples, and implement
them in low-level R code. This is tedious and inflexible. If I properly
understood the linear modelling approach used in R, I expect I could use
higher-level functions, and wouldn't have to re-implement each variation
of a test from scratch. But there's a conceptual gap between R and S&R
that I'm missing.

Cheers,

Tyler

--