[R-sig-eco] On model selection and model evaluation

Manuel Spínola mspinola10 at gmail.com
Fri May 30 17:06:17 CEST 2008

Dear List,

Thank you very much for your responses.
After looking at the responses I have some comments/questions.
It is my understanding that model selection is one step in data modeling
and model evaluation need to follow after model selection.  After a
model has been selected is necessary to evaluate the model and look at
the parameter estimates, is that correct?  I see that many people think
that the AIC value and model averaging is the last step in data modeling
but I am not sure if that is appropriate.  It is also my understanding
that using IT methods you can select the best worst model of a set of
bad models, so model evaluation is needed for your selected model.
I wrote "it is my understanding" because I am far for being an expert on
this.
Any comments on that?
Best,

Manuel

--
Manuel Spínola, Ph.D.
Instituto Internacional en Conservación y Manejo de Vida Silvestre
mspinola at una.ac.cr
mspinola10 at gmail.com
Teléfono: 277-3598
Fax: 237-7036