[R-sig-eco] nlme model specification

Nicholas Lewin-Koh nikko at hailmail.net
Mon May 26 17:22:32 CEST 2008

Hi,
Last month, or so, Doug was talking about comparing models
using likelihood ratio tests, anova(m1,m2) and pointed out
that the way things are calculated in lmer the ML and REML estimates
are equivalent. I am not sure if this is because the bias in the REML
estimates cancels out or if the estimation procedures in lmer get them
to the same place. I wish I could find the post. However this has to do
with
the likelihood vs. restricted profile likelihood for the whole model
and may not be relevant to the parameter estimates.

Nicholas