[R-sig-eco] nlme model specification

Landis, R Matthew rlandis at middlebury.edu
Fri May 23 20:39:38 CEST 2008

Dear Thierry, Chris, Peter, and the list,

Based on these suggestions and some others, I realize now that tree id is clearly the grouping variable.  A couple people had mentioned in a previous letter that there is likely to be temporal autocorrelation within trees, and I am particularly interested in this aspect of the data, which prompted me to look into the autocorrelation structures described in Pinheiro and Bates.

I am still a little confused about the two different approaches for accounting for non-independence within trees among years (i.e. specifying tree.id as a random effect vs. specifying autocorrelation in the residuals.  I am currently considering these alternative models:

f.gls <- gls(growth ~ diameter*vines, corr = corAR1(form = ~ yr|tree.id)

f.lme <- lme(fixed = growth ~ diameter*vines, random = ~ 1 | tree.id)

f.lme.ar1 <- lme(fixed = growth ~ diameter*vines, random = ~ 1 | tree.id, correlation = corAR1(form = ~ yr | tree.id))

For f.gls, phi is 0.67, which pretty closely matches the value I determined empirically by correlating residuals from different years.
plot(ACF(f.gls)) also reveals highly signficant autocorrelation which decays smoothly with lag.  This approach is very appealing, because it closely matches what I see if I make a correlation matrix among years empirically from the residuals.

However, f.lme.ar1 also has significant correlation, and a lower AIC than f.gls (and f.lme).  But now phi is only 0.26, and plot(ACF(f.lme.ar1)) does not look like AR1, but is rather increasingly negative with longer lags.  I don't quite understand this change in phi, or the biological interpretation of the correlation structure.

So, even though f.gls has a higher AIC, I'd like to use that one because it seems more biologically interpretable.  Does this adequately account for the pseudoreplication across years, or do I really need that random effect of tree.id in there?

Again, many many thanks for all your help.  This makes a lot more sense to me now than it did.

Matt