[R-sig-eco] nlme model specification

Kingsford Jones kingsfordjones at gmail.com
Thu May 22 19:35:58 CEST 2008

Hi Matthew,

First a couple questions:

The common growth curve models size over time.  Here you are using
size (diam) as a predictor.  What is your response?  Change in size
within a year?

You mentioned a "diversity of replies" to your question, but at the
time you sent it there appeared to be only one on the list.  Were
there others off list?  If so, you may have already gotten comments
similar to those given below, where I agree with the comments given on
list, but add some detail.

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 7:23 AM, Landis, R Matthew
<rlandis at middlebury.edu> wrote:
> Dear R-sig-eco:
>
> Many thanks to all of those who took the time to reply to my question.  The diversity of replies has made me go back and try to clarify my question.  Apologies for the length of the e-mail.  Thanks in advance to anyone willing to plow through this and understand it.  If you're ever in Middlebury I'll buy you a beer.
>
> To repeat, I have 300 trees, ranging in size from 10 - 150 cm diameter (big trees).  To simplify my original question, let's say I want to understand the relationship between growth and two variables, diameter (continuous) and vine load (ordinal index from 1-4). I'd also like to know the relative importance of diameter vs. vine load, e.g. by partial R2.  If I had one year of data, this would be a simple regression.

~ For the relative importance question you might want to look at the
relimp function in the relimp package -- it takes objects of class
lme.  Also the hier.part and relaimpo packages may be useful.  However
be aware that the idea of R^2 for a model with random effects is
controversial.  Some of the issues and citations are mentioned in this
thread:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.lme4.devel/684/focus=691

> However, I have 9 years of annual measurements on the trees.  It's as if I have the above analysis repeated 9 times.

~ So, as was pointed out previously, you don't have independent pieces
of information within trees.  Even after modelling the population
through the fixed effects, errors within trees are more likely to be
similar than those between trees.  Also, another important point that
hasn't been pointed out is that even if you add tree id as a random
grouping factor and therefore model within-tree correlation as
$(\sigma^2_{tree})/(\sigma^2_{tree} + \sigma^2_{error})$, you still
are likely to have a lack of indepence induced by temporal
autocorrelation of observations over the years within each tree.  This
is where the correlation argument to lme comes into play.  Because you
have equally spaced measurements the corAR structure may be
appropriate for within-tree errors.

hope this helps,

Kingsford Jones