[R-sig-eco] Publication quality graphics in R

Nicholas Lewin-Koh nikko at hailmail.net
Mon Jun 2 17:51:19 CEST 2008

Hi,
following this thread I have seen several misunderstandings that I think
should be cleared up. Firstly, we should be careful what is meant by
"publication quality", on interpretation is for a particular journal,
a good resolution graphic in the format they require. In general, the
meaning refers to the quality and portability of the graphic for
publishing
in different media while retaining as much of the original detail as
possible.
Some journals require submission in MSworst, for importing graphics
into a word document, wmf  is microsucks vector format, and is
probably the most suitable for most statistical graphics. For images
a bitmap format like png or tiff is  most suitable. I would avoid jpeg,
as the main purpose of jpeg is compression. If you need to edit
a graphic outside R, wmf, and svg will allow you to ungroup the graphics
components and edit them individually in most good drawing programs.
Personally
I have had good experiences with svg and inkscape. For color graphics
where colour gradients are important, I would recommend exporting
and viewing the graphics in a program with good colour management. R is
not tied to a colour management system and it is trial and error to
get colours printed correctly. There has been some discussion of
incorporating
little cms, but that is probably a good "google summer of code" project.

In regards to the post below, as of R 2.7, alpha blending is supported
on most devices if R was compiled with cairo. This is the case
for the windows distribution, and the default for configure when
compiling
from source on linux.

<\begin rant>
As a personal rant I would suggest that most journals don't publish
publication quality statistical graphics, as most scientists don't
produce them.
Biological journals are full of crammed bar graphs with antennae on top,
with
six different fills, that as far as I can tell contain very little
information.
All the work done on how to represent information with grammar and
aesthetics
goes out the window in journal publications.
<\end rant>

My 2c. So flame me.

Nicholas