[R-sig-eco] Publication quality graphics in R

Phil Novack-Gottshall pnovackg at westga.edu
Sun Jun 1 16:47:49 CEST 2008

[Apologies if this is a duplicate; I seem to be having e-mail problems.]

I've also had trouble dealing with formatting
issues from R to a format acceptable for
journals.  But I found a really useful
recommendation from Cadmus, the art folks for
PNAS.  Here's a useful site:
http://cpc.cadmus.com/da/tutorials.jsp and
http://art.cadmus.com/da/instructions/ps80_win.jsp
They're not specific to R, but there's some good general advice.

I, too, tend to save images as a .pdf
(specificying final size and resolution), and
then convert to TIF or EPS using the following (also advised from Cadmus):

For EPS:
Once you have a PDF file, you can open it with
the “full” version of Acrobat and then do a “Save
as EPS” – or – you can open your PDF with Illustrator and then “Save as EPS.”

For TIF:
Open the PDF file from within Photoshop. This
will allow you to determine resolution
(typically, 600 DPI is ideal for most figures).
While in Photoshop, go to the menu and click
"Layer>Flatten Image", crop (trim) excess white
space around the figure, scale it to the correct
size, and then "Save As
" a TIF file using LZW (not JPEG or ZIP) compression.

This usually works for the journals I've dealt
with.  And a benefit of saving directly as PDF is
you can use the alpha functionality in
color.palette() to set transparency, which is
really useful when having overlaying colors.  (To
my knowledge, alpha is not allowed when plotting in the R window.)

Phil

> > I'd like to hear from the list, how folks specify and export presentation
> > quality and publication quality graphics with R.  I've had problems
> > when exporting graphics using the copy-to-clipboard option (both bitmap
> > and metafile)
> > and also when saving them as jpgs.  They almost always seem to look a
> > little funny
> > (e.g. pixelation, symbols coming out distorted etc.).  The only option
> > that I've had
> > much success with is saving them as pdf's, but that format is less than
> > ideal when trying
> > to incorporate a graphic into another document (e.g. Word or Powerpoint),
> > and is often
> > not the format requested by journals.

   Phil
Novack-Gottshall