[R-sig-eco] Corrected AIC for binary response variables? (Landis, R Matthew)

Landis, R Matthew rlandis at middlebury.edu
Wed Dec 31 18:17:28 CET 2008

Murray - thanks for pointing me to that discussion - I found it stimulating, if inconclusive in the end.  The discussion of Bernoulli trials (1 per individual per time step) reminds me of something I once read by Paul Allison [1] in an introduction to the use of logistic regression for event data.  He discussed the notion of pseudoreplication of repeated observations on a single individual (p. 223), and concluded that it wasn't applicable because of the something to do with a conditional probability involved in factoring the likelihood function.  I don't quite understand it, but it does seem to imply that using the number of tree*years (2811 in my case), might be justifiable.

In any case, it sounds like the number of individuals (334 here) is certainly justifiable and acceptable to most of the people who responded.  I'll probably go with that.

Many thanks to all who responded with thoughts on my question...and apologies for the lack of specific R content.  The analyses _are_ all being done in R ;-)

Happy New Year!

Matt

[1] Allison, P. 1995. Survival analysis using the SAS system: a practical guide SAS Institute, Inc.