[R-sig-eco] Corrected AIC for binary response variables?

Dave Hewitt dhewitt37 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 19:17:13 CET 2008

> I'm using logistic regression to investigate mortality of trees.
> I'm using AIC to compare models, and I'm wondering if I should
> use AICc instead of AIC. Burnham and Anderson [1] recommend using
> AICc when n/K < 40.

B&A 2002 is not as forceful on this as they are in person or in later work.
Basically, it's a non-issue. AICc approaches AIC with large sample sizes
(relative to the number of parameters), so just calculate AICc. Always.

> But what do I consider for n?

I agree with Ben that this is a great question, and I doubt there
is a single right answer. The capture-recapture world has converged
on some general agreement in many of those models, but disagreement
still exists and may never be resolved.

The lazy, conservative approach in this case would be to take the
value amongst the sensible ones that generates the smallest
N:K ratio. Or, calculate the model selection stats for the range of
the sensible numbers and see if it changes inference. It might not,
and then you have nothing to worry about.