[R-sig-eco] pairwise comparison of rank dissimilarities for factor levels - pairwise ANOSIM

Ralf Schäfer ralf.schaefer at rmit.edu.au
Fri Dec 12 02:04:25 CET 2008

Hello,

I have a question and would be grateful for any help:

Is there a possibility (in the sense that I do not have to write my
own function) to compute pairwise comparisons for factor levels
concerning their rank dissimilarities?
I have a distance matrix and want to assess if there are significant
differences between the ranked distances of different ecological
groups (pollution categories).  I found the anosim, adonis and mrpp
function in the vegan package for testing if there is a general
difference between and among group rank similarities but I did not
figure out which group levels are significantly different from each
other in multiple comparison.
In Primer there is something like pariwise ANOSIM to do this.

Thanks in advance!
Ralf

Dr. Ralf Bernhard Schäfer
Biotechnology and Environmental Biology