[R-sig-eco] Intepreting a plot from a "constrained" NMDS

Jari Oksanen jari.oksanen at oulu.fi
Mon Dec 8 07:08:22 CET 2008

On 8 Dec 2008, at 2:53, stephen sefick wrote:

> A way that may work is use the axis scores as y in a regression- this
> seems like it would let you interpret how the communities are
> distributed in species space.  Just a thought

NEVER do this! The rotation is not determined in NMDS. If you rotate
the NMDS solution you will always have the very same solutios, but the
correlations with the "axis scores" will change. The whole point of
having envfit/vectorfit in vegan is that you don't need to calculate
the correlations with the axes.

The axis rotation is determined in eigenvector ordination, but that
does not mean that the direction is meaningful. You can see this with
envfit/vectorfit in unconstrained eigenvector ordination, but also in
constrained ordination: very rarely the fitted vectors or biplot
arrows are parallel to axes. Only if axes are parallel to axes (and go
along the axes), then it would be meaningful to look a the
relationship of axis and something else.

And indeed, there is no constrained NMDS in vegan. It is unconstrained
with an interpretation through vector fitting.

cheers, jari oksanen