[R-sig-eco] Teaching statistics to ecology undergraduates

Graham Smith graham.smith at myotis.co.uk
Thu Dec 4 18:42:27 CET 2008

Carsten

> 11 hours is short - there's no mistaking. I teach (among other things) a
> 6 day stats course for beginners, and find that I need the first 3 days
> to get the student to "think straight".

It is useful to know that you had 6 days

> Using only GLM is clear (and Ben Bolker's book sets the right tone,
> albeit at a much too high level for beginners). At the same time, the
> learning curve is VERY steep. 30% of the participants fall by the
> wayside. Is that acceptable? Maybe it is me, not the GLM.

I suspect that regardless of what you do, a percentage are just never
going to get it.

> However, I think you have to be very realistic about what you can
> achieve (and I have heard speaking highly of your courses, so I am sure
> you are doing the right things).

My guess is that you are speaking of the Highstat courses, which I'm not
actually involved with, I'm asking about the basic undergrad intro to
stats lectures.

>Giving the students a "feeling" about
> what the idea of a "fit" is and what is behind comparisons of samples is
> rather independent of distributional assumptions and a very general
> point they can take away from a short course.

My main aim, I think, is that they gain some understanding of
statistical thinking rather than specific techniques, which most will
forget almost immediately.

> Also, as you said, visualising the data, getting a feeling for it, is SO
> important, particular when a student has little idea what to expect from
> an experiment/observation.

Yes, I strongly agree with this.

> If I had to reduce it to 11 hours: Unless the students are likely to do
> experiments (which seems to have fallen out of funding), I would ditch
> DOE and focus on GLM plus a few sexy  but tricky examples. I love the
> Titanic study, because you can get the students to identify with the
> passengers. If that leads them to transfer their newly gained knowledge
> to the ecological work is a different question.

In my case, the stats is part of broader module, which focusses on a
woodland ecology study, where the students collect vegetation data, and
carry out some soil analysis. I introduce the stats, they then complete
a stats exercise, I give them feedback on this, and they are then meant
to apply the stats to help explain the vegetation characteristics found
in the two woods they sampled.

> the buy a good book (I always recommend Quinn & Keough,

Yes, a wonderful book.

> I shall stop now (and prepare some stats course next week), otherwise I
> would also have a word to say about Crawley's approach, which I find
> enchanting and confusing.

:-)

Graham